I can finally build for Android! Woo! I purchased a license to Unity Android on Thursday, and have been hard at work on my first Andy game ever since. I will probably be writing a stupid amount of games for Android because it’s so damned fun. As of right now though, I don’t even have a sandbox project. I’ve really just been working on Reed’s Mine (my first Android game).
Android development is obviously different than PC, but for the most part, things will build and deploy the same (gawd love Unity). As such, I’m still learning a lot of DOs and DON’Ts to Android development. I will attempt to make it a point to share these as often as I can. 😉
I spent all of this weekend working on Reed’s Mine. Let me explain a little of what it is and what it will be.
Reed’s Mine is an Android-based casual mining game. It’s also my first Android project, but that doesn’t mean it has to suck. One thing that I don’t seem to see enough in mobile games is evolution of the game itself, so I plan to make that a common occurrence. You may only buy it once, but there’s no reason I can think of that I shouldn’t update it to do more than bug fix. I will probably be releasing the initial game earlier than “flawless”, but I plan to improve and expand content and game-play for as long as the game’s idea is stuff fun.
Walk, dig, gather resources, and explore an infinite underground with zero-consequence. There are no enemies (yet; not sure about this one), no traps (same), no death (mostly sure we don’t want this, but we’ll see about enemies). What there are are resources. Lots of them. There’s currently coal, iron, copper, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds – with many more already planned.
These resources do nothing special currently, but will at least offer achievements by the initial release. Soon after, they will be able to be exchanged for items or other resources to random dwarves that you will encounter along your journey. After the dwarf content update, I plan to add a simple crafting system that will allow you to upgrade your tools and create various items from your resources.
Joshua Morse has been helping me out on the audio side of things. IMO, he’s already done more impressive work on the project than I have… and I’m writing the damned thing! He’s an amazing artist, and if you don’t know who he is, you need to go check him out at jmflava.com right this instant!
Anyway, I could go on and on about Reed’s Mine, but I want to make sure I can get everything together for the initial release, so I’m trying not get too far ahead of myself.
This weekend was drastically less productive than I expected. I’ve been somewhat under the weather since last week (probably due to living in the Ohio Valley), so I hit the sack directly after work on Friday. Saturday was going to be the real deal, but then one of my audio heroes (Joshua Morse) followed me on Twitter, friended me on Failbook, spent the day in our vent, and started playing Minecraft on our server… Needless to say, I got nothing done. Sunday was the last option; the last, best hope for productivity… Minecraft server issues/changes. I did get some stuff done, though.
Well, thanks to a startling notice by WorldEdit’s sk89q about servers burning and world’s crashing, I decided we should remove Essentials. It was something I had thought of doing for some time, but it covered so many facets of plugin that are otherwise forked (or recreated entirely) from projects that are inactive. I would rather use many small modular pieces as opposed to one (giant) plugin to rule them all. I mean, Essentials really is the AOL of Bukkit plugins.
So I haven’t completely gotten everything going again, but mostly, things are settled. Hopefully, permissions aren’t broken. I’m mods will let me know soon enough. ;Þ
I got to work on one tile of Skeletron (the Terraria pack) before getting pulled into something else this weekend (see above).
I did manage to get some changes done on the Nekoyoubi pack though (last week… that were undocumented… so I get to pretend like they were done over the weekend):
I worked on level generation a bit, but again, not too much productivity here.
My work in this area did spark what seems to me like it might be a perfect interjection in another project that previously had a gap that I didn’t feel comfortable continuing on in its lacking state. Man, I love it when things accidentally come together like that!
So as much as I would love for Fizzle to be my first “official” game release as I had previously intended, it will probably be developed side-by-side with the other project, and we’ll just see who comes in first.
I’m sorry it’s Thursday before I get to write my weekend update, but alas, so much going on has put a damper on my blogging abilities.
I spent this past weekend writing a birthday card the coolest way I know how – as a video game. Notch turned 2^5 yesterday, and in thanks to his work on Minecraft and what it’s meant for me personally, I put together a little Super Mario Bros. World 1-1 replica for him where he (a block textured as his Twitter avatar, anyway) gets to run around on Minecraft dirt and grass and pop diamonds out of chests and listen to me ramble on about how awesome he is (but how DannyB‘s cooler).
Meh. I had to go into the office and do some coding on serious koi. No fun, but since it did rend most of a day out of my weekend, I figure it’s worth mentioning.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to upgrade the Nekoyoubi Texture Pack to 1.6 this weekend due to all of the updates and issues and more updates to our server. I will be getting this updated tonight.
I was, as well, unable to work on Skeletron (the Minecraft Terraria texture pack) for mostly the same reason. I’m hoping to have something for it posted this weekend though.