Wow. It’s been a bit. Sorry for the delay, guys and gals. I’d like to take a moment and provide an update to the goings on.
I was working on Passhackwords pretty steadily until a few things changed in my free time. At that point, I began working on Bukkit plugins for Minecraft with most of the time I wasn’t spending administering our gaming group’s Minecraft server.
Why I didn’t keep this updated with those items, I can’t begin to tell you. They were development, but I didn’t see them being as relevant as other things so I just posted them to the Bukkit site and called it good. I doubt these even still work, as I haven’t kept them up to date, but just so you know what I’m talking about, here are a couple of the project I’m referring to.
So, essentially, with those projects and our Minecraft server becoming much more lively, I halted development of Passhackwords… but that was still a long time ago. We will more than likely resume Passhackwords work in 2013.
For a while, it was just me. Me and my projects. Nothing really special; just some guy writing some code and putting out the occasional idea or toy. No more.
Just so everyone knows, Nekoyoubi Games has finally picked up its second employee! Amazingly enough, long before there are even paychecks… go figure.
Clayton Hunt has joined me as a co-developer on two projects thus far, and I’m guessing many more to come.
He came in to start working on the Epixtory project, and we’ve made some awesome progress on that front (it really is going to be a kick ass game).
We’re now working on our B&B game (that I’ll write more on later), and we’re knocking it out of the park. I don’t want to be too official in this statement, but we should be submitting it over to Steam within the month thanks to his help.
Having Clayton around has been a serious help and a huge leap forward for Nekoyoubi being a profitable game development shop.
We’ve changed the direction of Epixtory slightly from my initial post regarding it. Epixtory is currently too much to fill you in on in one of these posts, so I’ll be sure it gets its own. For now I’ll just say that its development is slightly halted to finish and release B&B, but we’re still looking at releasing it this year.
B&B is getting its own page, but I’ll post a brief overview here. Essentially, B&B is a roguelike (rogueliek*) fashioned after a comedic approach to tabletop gaming (D&D). Players take on the role of a miniature adventurer against a configured board of walls, traps, monsters, secret passages, and treasure.
As mentioned above, we’re expecting to submit the game (crap, I just lost) to Steam this month. We will also, hopefully be getting some pre-Steam testers to help us make sure it’s good. Let us know if you’re interested.
For those of you that remember Passhackwords from its initial inception, you’ll be happy to know that I have re-purposed the property (finally) into a much better and more full-featured game design. I’ve been working on this redesign for about the past month now, and while there is still a lot of work ahead of me, I thought it was time to let everyone know what’s been going on.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Passhackwords property, here is a little background. About five years ago or so, me and K (my wife) used to play a web strategy game (that I will not give mention to, as they don’t even deserve the recognition). After a rather large falling out with the administration over false accusations of cheating and the like, we left and set out to replace the game with another. There really weren’t any others that we could get into quick enough, and work overcame me again (as it always seems to do). I decided that instead of sinking my time into yet another game, I would just write my own. At least that way, I could justify the time spent.
It was to be a game of over-stylized “hacker-esque” activities. Simple, almost ready-for-television, concepts of what living a hacker’s life in the box would be like. Unfortunately, I was still too wrapped up in other works, and didn’t give it my all. This resulted in an under-designed, over-simplified, generally weak start to a game.
So I shelved it, as I do any ideas that I can catch before they burn, and waited for the right moment to stake out a new claim on the property.
Well, here we are. I’ve gone and done it… Like a digital phoenix rising up from the fading electron pulses with a glowing cyan fury, I have breathed life back into Passhackwords – rescued it from the void of projects lost! BEHOLD!… Wait. What what I saying?
Here are some of the design concepts:
As for progress made thus far, I am very excited about the level of design progress made, but development is still fresh. As of last night I did create the first glimpse of the address rewiring puzzle, and me and K had ~2 hours each into playing with the node connectivity alone – way fun.
I hope to have the design complete for phishing this week, but that really depends on how much more I work on the rewiring before moving on. Either way, I will do my best to let you all know as things progress. Hopefully, I can get a screenshot or two of the rewiring here in a few days.
As much as I would love to roll out the performance updates and a new feature or two, I can’t. ;( As of right now, after the Unity3D 3.4 release, Reed (his sprite) no longer renders correctly on my device. I’ve attempted to get help from the community on it, with no luck so far. I will set aside a bit more time to get this later this week, but as for right now, Reed’s Mine is on indefinite hold.